- VLC Media Player: “Supports playback of most video files and DVD discs without the need to download external codec packs, including flv filescan, reads DVD’s from all regions, takes screenshots of your video during playback.”
- SMPlayer: “Intends to be a complete front-end for MPlayer, from basic features like playing videos, DVDs, and VCDs to more advanced features like support for MPlayer filters, remember the settings of all files you play and more.”
Music Player and Organizer
- Banshee: Imports, organizes, plays, and shares music using a simple yet powerful interface. Other features include rip CDs, create playlists, burn audio and mp3 CDs, support for podcasting and music recommendations.
- Amarok: A powerful music player for multi platforms with an intuitive interface, supports for collection management, bookmarking, dynamic playlists, file tracking, integrated web services and more.
Audio / Video Format Conversion
- SoundConverter: Aims to be simple to use and fast for conversion from most audio files to wav, flac, mp3, aac and ogg files, supports for extraction of the audio from videos too. (Note: Install GStreamer MP3 Encoding to enable conversion to mp3.)
- Arista Transcoder: An easy-to-use converter to convert multimedia files from one format to another for playback on various devices. Supported output formats include m4v (Ipod), avi (Nokia, PDA or DVD player), mkv (computer) and mp4 (various Sony devices), depending on the device you choose.
- OggConvert: A small and easy-to-use utility to convert most audio and video files to the patent-free Ogg format, and support for encoding to the Matroska container format (mkv, mka), with adjustable settings on audio and video quality for conversion.
MP3 Tag Editor
- Kid3: “Edit all tags, generate tags from files or vice versa, import tags from databases, browse cover arts and lyrics from online resources, drag and drop cover art to a file, export tags, etc.”
- MusicBrainz Picard: “Identify track info by matching digital thumbprint with MusicBrainz database, show up existing tags with add and delete functions.”
CD / DVD Burning Software
- Brasero: Designed for ease of use to create a traditional audio CD, data CD/DVD, video DVD or a SVCD, burn an existing CD/DVD image to disc, copy a CD/DVD to a new disc or write to an image file in ISO and other formats.
- ImgBurn: “Most powerful burning application with advanced features, support for every modern optical disc from CD to Blu-Ray, more than 10 image formats, authoring rewritable discs, etc.” Runs on Linux with Wine (x86 only).
CD / DVD Emulation Software
- Furius ISO Mount: “Select or drag-and-drop an image file to mount, one-click unmount, supports for burning ISO and IMG files, generate MD5 and SHA1 checksums, saving history and retrieving previously unmounted images.”
- HandBrake: “Good quality in transcoded video, small file size, integrates the latest improvements to the H.264 encoding library with enhanced picture quality, speed optimizations and supports better control over multiple audio tracks.”
Audio Editing / Audio Splitter
- Audacity: “Interface is easy to use, easily applies noise profiles, capable of saving in multiple compressed formats.”
- mp3splt-gtk: “Splits mp3 and ogg files without re-encoding, able to identify split points between tracks via online database services (CDDB or FreeDB).”
- Avidemux: “Supports many file types including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF. It’s simple and easy to use, with well documented tutorials.”